Updating gameboy advance sp screen

Here I will show how I gutted an old non-working Nintendo Gameboy original, and fitted these parts instead:- 3.5" 320x240 LCD with driver PCB- Raspberry Pi (Model A)- custom built button PCB- 1x 18650 Li-Ion cell- USB Li-Ion charger board- 3.7V to 5V DC-DC converter board- stereo audio amp board- stereo speakers I've seen other Instructables doing a similar thing, but I set myself a few challenges and desired features of my build which include:- Fitting the Pi with little or (ideally) no modification- Have the Pi's USB port and HDMI port remain accessible- Have the SD card hidden away but also easily accessible- Retain analogue control of volume- Retain normal functions of all front buttons, also make it easy to add buttons if the need arises- Upgrade sound with internal stereo speakers- Have major components unpluggable (ie.not have all things hard-wired to each other)- Retain some kind of visible power LED and charge status LEDs- Have the Gameboy case fit back together cleanly but very securely- Achieve a good run-time per charge, around 2hrs In the end I think I achieved all these goals.The GBA was initially released in 2001 by a Nintendo complacent and confident after a decade of virtual monopoly over the handheld gaming market. Though it boasted superior graphical capabilities than its predecessor, the Game Boy Color (with a display similar to the quality of a Super Nintendo), the GBA’s numerous problems were a huge and overshadowing disappointment.The screen was susceptible to glare and lacked backlighting, making certain games such as the notorious Castlevania: Circle of the Moon almost unplayable.The clamshell or laptop design protects the screen from scratches and dust, reminiscent of two-screen Game & Watch units.

I'm also in the process of upgrading an early 90's Final Lap driving cabinet to be a multi-game machine.

My gameboy advance sp has a problem, when i put in the working cartridge the game boy sign shows up but the nintendo sign doesn't show.

Everything is workin fine the buttons are not stuck or loose, the on/ off button is switching fine.

Initially I wanted to fit 2x Li-Ion cells but there just wasn't enough room for that 2nd cell.

I had enough experience with Raspian/Raspbmc to know how to get the Pi up and running with Retro Pie. I also had not previously dealt with the GPIO pins on a Pi.

Important Note: Because of the technical differences between the Game Boy Advance/Game Boy Advance SP and other Game Boy systems, a few two player games may not work properly.

You must have an account to comment. Please register or login here!